Director, Social Media (Job Number: 013081)
At Walgreens, we help people get, stay and live well. That’s our core purpose and the difference we make in people’s lives every day. Our purpose has shaped the direction of our company since Charles R. Walgreen Sr. founded his first drugstore in 1901, and it still does today.
Our team members make that purpose come to life in our more than 8,000 stores in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, in our call centers, distribution centers, clinics, specialty pharmacies, infusion and respiratory service locations and corporate offices. In fact, those daily demonstrations of our purpose have helped Walgreens become an industry leader and a household name.
Walgreens has something for everyone who wants to build a successful career. Here, you’ll find supportive co-workers, an innovative environment and the tools you need to expand your skills, help build healthy communities and advance your career.
The Director of Social Media leads an award-winning, widely recognized social media organization that encompasses social media across Walgreens and its sister organizations Duane Reade and Drugstore.com. The Director of Social Media is responsible for social media across strategy, execution and analysis Creates a comprehensive strategy to build social media capabilities at Walgreens. Increase sophistication in earned media marketing techniques to understand their impact and increase engagement and loyalty. Develops a comprehensive roadmap for social media that includes an understanding of both technical requirements and business requirements, encompassing both Walgreens.com and other websites, extensions to mobile, and both customers and employees. Synthesizes data and input from multiple channels to provide strategic guidance on social media practices, policies, and programs. Actively manages a wide variety of social media activities such as influencer outreach, community and content development, data analytics, vendor programs, etc. Makes recommendations to senior leadership on how to develop social media capability including talent, skills, tools and platforms, and how to make better marketing mix decisions. Monitors trends in social media channels, tools, and metrics and appropriately apply that knowledge to increase the effectiveness of social media. Builds and maintains effective partnerships with internal teams, agencies and key social media partners to develop earned media initiatives and execute social campaigns. Partners with corporate marketing teams, vendors, and agencies to develop earned media initiatives and execute social campaigns. Serves as an effective ambassador in Social Media industry organizations and conferences.
- Directs the operations of eCommerce Social Media, such as to achieve strategic and operational business goals and targeted financial and content quality results. Develops and oversees the implementation of processes, and policies that have significant impact upon the organization.
- Develops short- and long-range product and service strategies and plans.
- Directs managers accountable for daily operations of the eCommerce Social Media operation, such as content and product development, engineering, and/or editorial content and relies on some key centralized resources such as sales, marketing, finance and administration.
- Makes recommendations for the formulation of the strategies and operating plans of the specified area of responsibility, then, based on prevailing conditions executes or adjusts the operating plans of the business unit directed.
- Accountable for profit and loss of assigned online business unit or product line. Develops budget for specified business unit/product line and is accountable for delivering against business goals/objectives.
- Sets financial, operational and quality objectives for the unit or product line and develops master operational plans.
- Oversees the execution of operating plans for specified area of responsibility.
- Shares highly complex information related to areas of expertise. Interacts with senior management to keep abreast of objectives. Interacts with direct reports and peers in management / customers / vendors to interpret information and improve cross-functional processes and programs. Builds and enhances key internal and external contacts.
- Accountable for growth and optimization of consumer awareness, market share and/or specified initiatives. Reviews the competitive marketplace and makes adjustments to operational activities based upon identified information.
- Oversees and directs the work of managers and their subordinates. Obtains and allocates resources to meet operating plans. Ensures the ongoing training and development of direct reports. Develops and mentors staff through on-boarding, open communication, training and development opportunities and performance management processes; builds and maintains employee morale and motivation; ensures the team is appropriately staffed with required competencies; fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace
Basic Qualifications & Interests
- Bachelor's Degree and at least 6 years of experience in Merchandising, Marketing, eCommerce, Healthcare, Strategy, Finance, IT and/or Operations OR a High School Diploma/GED and at least 9 years of experience in Merchandising, Marketing, eCommerce, Healthcare, Strategy, Finance, IT and/or Operations.
- Experience establishing and maintaining relationships with individuals at all levels of the organization, in the business community and with vendors.
- Experience analyzing and reporting data in order to identify issues, trends, or exceptions to drive improvement of results and find solutions.
- Experience identifying operational issues and recommending and implementing strategies to resolve problems.
- Experience managing and leading cross-functional teams.
- Experience interacting at the executive level.
- At least 2 years of experience planning, developing, and managing departmental expense and capital budgets.
- At least 2 years of experience directly managing people, including hiring, developing, motivating, and directing people as they work
- Willing to travel up to 10% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).
Preferred Qualifications & Interests
- Master’s Degree / MBA.
- Experience in a dynamic, matrix organization.
- At least 5 years of experience working in the social media space.
- Experience establishing and maintaining professional partnerships in the social media space.
- Experience developing and delivering presentations to various audience levels within an organization.
- Experience influencing senior executives and gaining buy-in in a matrix organization.
- Experience negotiating with outside vendors, including negotiating contracts, prices, resolving service issues and reconciling differences.
- Experience reading and interpreting financial and other data reports to make strategic decisions for the organization.
- Experience with project management (for example: planning, organizing, and managing resources to bring about the successful completion of specific project goals and objectives).
- Experience developing strategic initiatives that align with business goals and budget.
- Experience developing social media strategy and capability for an organization.