Job SummaryThe Ambulatory Pharmacy Specialist will lead the ambulatory care pharmacy program and collaborate within a medical team. The Ambulatory Pharmacy Specialist will drive the performance of the pharmacy program by providing direct patient care via office and or telemedicine visits including comprehensive medication management, medication reconciliation, medication optimization services, and chronic disease state management on rising risk to high-risk patient groups. This role is for the individual who has experience in providing direct patient care within a provider medical group using approved protocols, under collaborative practice agreement, in collaboration with a medical teamJob Responsibilities
About Walgreens and WBA
- Leads the implementation and execution of clinical pharmacy services within multiple practice sites remotely and or in clinic as necessary by regional leadership needs.
- Develops partnership with regional clinical leaders and engages the embedded team members on the clinical pharmacy programs.
- Delivers direct patient care and clinical practice using approved protocols, or makes recommendations to health care providers, in collaboration with a medical team on chronic disease management and transitions of care to improve the quality and outcomes to our patients stratified in rising risk to high risk and appropriately document outcomes.
- Adheres to treatment algorithms, drug utilization management strategies, intervention techniques and policies and procedures needed to manage the clinical pharmacy program.
- Ensures the Ambulatory Care Pharmacy Program exceeds the requirements of partnership agreements, provides optimal patient care, and concurrently drives positive returns for the company.
- Communicates effectively with the patient's provider care team (PCP, Specialists, etc.) to ensure collaborative and alignment.
- Assist in medication cost management including therapeutic substitution recommendations, high cost medication reviews, and medication usage evaluations.
- Drives compliance and continuous quality improvement in the delivery of clinical pharmacy patient care and services by studying, evaluating, and re designing processes; monitoring and analyzing results; and implementing changes. Helps ensure area Pharmacies adhere to regulatory compliance, standard operating procedures, and FDA regulations.
- Drives regional pharmacy financial performance by aligning business strategies with company financial goals.
- Supports efforts on enhancing patient experience by increasing focus on healthcare services (e.g., patient consultation, medication management, drug therapy reviews, and retail, clinical, or wellness services such as immunizations, disease state management and Specialty programs).
- Provides clinical expertise, resources, education and support to pharmacists, clinic staff, and field leadership.
- Leads Care Navigators, Pharmacy Technicians in providing social, behavioral, and functional resource support to members.
- Supports staff training experiences and development opportunities. Promotes teamwork and motivates Pharmacy staff by fostering a shared vision and supporting company policies, procedures, mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity.
- Complete referrals from care management, transitions of care team, and clinic provider teams for high risk patients including review of polypharmacy, high risk medications, high cost medications, medication adherence, and uncontrolled chronic disease states.
- Reviews drug histories and patient profiles to ensure proper and safe drug therapy. Provides individualized patient provider consultation.
- Participates in medication related research and projects.
- Manages all questions, dialogues, and issues which relate directly to patient therapy.
- Follows guidelines and procedures for all job responsibilities to meet goals. Adheres to company policies and procedures including all HIPAA guidelines regulations.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local pharmacy laws.
- Seek self development by monitoring own performance, setting high personal standards, learning from others, and improving job performance.
Walgreens (www.walgreens.com) is included in the U.S. Retail Pharmacy and U.S. Healthcare segments of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. (Nasdaq WBA), an integrated healthcare, pharmacy and retail leader with a 170 year heritage of caring for communities. WBAs purpose is to create more joyful lives through better health. Operating nearly 9,000 retail locations across America, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, Walgreens is proud to be a neighborhood health destination serving nearly 10 million customers each day. Walgreens pharmacists play a critical role in the U.S. healthcare system by providing a wide range of pharmacy and healthcare services, including those that drive equitable access to care for the nations medically underserved populations. To best meet the needs of customers and patients, Walgreens offers a true omnichannel experience, with fully integrated physical and digital platforms supported by the latest technology to deliver high quality products and services in communities nationwide.