Walgreens History & Innovation
- 1901 – Charles Walgreen opens his first namesake
- 1920s – Walgreens designs the open view pharmacy –
still in use today.
- 1922 – Walgreens invents the first malted milkshake
- 1930 – Walgreens creates store-brand items,
offering high quality and affordability during tenuous times.
- 1950s – Walgreens introduces self-service drug
- 1981 – Pharmacy departments are connected via satellite,
letting customers refill prescriptions at any Walgreens.
- 1992 – The first drive-thru pharmacy opens.
- 1999 – Walgreens.com launches, giving consumers the
option to meet their health care needs at home.
- 2007 – A new distribution center with state of the art
technology is designed especially for employees with
- 2010 – A new award-winning free app launches, with
convenient features to easily refill prescriptions, print photos,
view your local weekly ad and more
- 2012 – In response to studies linking harmful chemicals
to childhood disease, Walgreens launches Ology, toxin-free
- 2014 – Walgreens and Boots Alliance is formed through the
full combination of Walgreens and Alliance Boots.
- 2014 – Walgreens opens at a net zero energy store,
anticipated to produce energy equal to or greater than it
- 2016 – Walgreens Boots Alliance honored with United
Nations Foundation Global Leadership Award for support for
wellbeing around the world.