HERO Shift Lead (Military and Veterans)Job ID 491494BR Location 2435 JEFFERSON RD, ATHENS, GA Apply
Our mission is to help people live healthier every day and veterans are a big part of our plans. That’s because we know that hiring a military veteran is one of the best decisions we can make. You’re proven leaders, quick learners, team players and you know how to get the job done and motivate others with passion and pride. Our Walgreens HERO Program has been crafted with the veteran in mind. Our retail management leadership programs provide training, mentorship and career development in a supportive environment. And, through our strong education partner Southern New Hampshire University our HERO participants have the added benefit to further their education goals all while working at Walgreens.
- Level: Entry-Level
- Travel: 0%
What makes someone successful when they join our HERO program?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Walgreens is a trusted wellness provider with care being at the heart of our business. From our retail stores to our distribution centers and our support center to our pharmacies, our team members have an opportunity to excel in their careers in a welcoming and inclusive environment.
Starting as a Shift Lead or Assistant Store Manager Trainee in our HERO Program begins your journey into retail management. Through training, career development, and hands-on experience, your path to Store Manager will be supported as you advance in the organization.
Shift Lead / Assistant Store Manager Trainee leads to Assistant Store Manager.
Assistant Store Manager leads to Store Manager.
Click Here to learn more about career paths at Walgreens.
“My coworkers are the most unique and amazing team that I have had the honor to work with since serving in the Military. My Store Manager allows me to work independently, and trusts me to make sure tasks are completed to company expectations.”–Arin K., ASM-T Defense Artillery Captain
“When I learned about the HERO program, I felt that I met all the requirements and had the necessary experience and knowledge to be successful at Walgreens. I have always loved working with people and learning new skills. I know that all of my years of work added with my experience in the Military has prepared me to be exceptionally successful, while enjoying what I like the most.”–Darnell S., ASM-T Army, E6-Staff Sergeant
Walgreens wants a few good veterans for future leadershipLearn more
Paid Time Off
Military leave & ESGR
SNHU tuition discount + supportive resources
The Walgreens HERO Program keeps our nation’s heroes in mind – with an opportunity for veterans to transition their leadership experience into the civilian world. Through this program, participants start on a path to store management, while pursuing a bachelor’s degree through Southern New Hampshire University (or other schools), all to help you achieve your long-term career goals. Through this program, you’ll receive the support from senior leadership, as well as on-the-job mentorship, guiding you through our award-winning LEAP Program. LEAP fully prepares you to Lead, Engage, Advance, and Perform as a Walgreens Assistant Store Manager.
- At least 6 months military experience
Opens and closes the store in the absence of store management, including all required systems start-ups, required cash handling, and ensuring the floor and stock room are ready for the business day. Responsible for opening back door of store for deliveries.
- Engages customers and patients by greeting them and offering assistance with products and services. Resolves customer issues and answers questions to ensure a positive customer experience.
- Models and shares customer service best practices with all team members to deliver a distinctive and delightful customer experience, including interpersonal habits (e.g., greeting, eye contact, courtesy, etc.) and Walgreens service traits (e.g., offering help proactively, identifying needs, servicing until satisfied, etc.).
- Responsible for holding store keys to open and close without management as necessary.
- Assists with and coaches other team members to work with warehouse and vendor ordering process as the orders are created, reviewed, and received, including opening the backdoor for vendor deliveries.
- Responsible and accountable for registering all related sales on assigned cash register, including records of scanning errors, price verifications, items not on file, price modifications, and voids.
- Assists manager or assistant store manager in reviewing order exceptions on order release day and assists in reverse logistics (e.g., 1506, returns, empty package).
- Assists manager or assistant store manager in evaluating and developing displays, including promotional, seasonal, super structures, and sale merchandise. Completes resets and revisions.
- Maintains accurate inventory counts; maintains the accuracy of on-hand quantities including, but not limited to, basic departments, stockroom, and overstock locations.
- Assist with ensuring the Outdate program is followed with team members.
- Responsible for basic department pricing and making daily price changes; ensures proper signage is displayed at the store to support accurate pricing of products. Ensures any additional pricing tasks related to local regulations and/or regulatory compliance programs are completed accurately and within the required time frame.
- Assist with bookkeeping activities, including cash report, cash counts, ledgers, and bill payment as necessary or as requested.
- Assists with exterior and interior maintenance by ensuring clean, neat, orderly store condition and appearance, including requesting store or system repairs as required in manager absence, or as requested by manager.
- Assists with separation of food items (e.g., raw foods from pre-cooked) and product placement as specified by policies/procedures (e.g., raw and frozen meats on bottom shelves). For consumable items, assists in stock rotation, using the first in, first out method and restock outs.
- Has working knowledge of store systems and store equipment.
- Assist at Pharmacy out window as requested.
- Ensures compliance with state and local laws regarding regulated products (e.g., alcoholic beverages and tobacco products).
- Responsible for bag checks of team members before leaving the store.
- Complies with all company policies and procedures; maintains respectful relationships with coworkers.
- Completes special assignments and other tasks as assigned.
- Attends training and completes PPLs requested by Manager.
- Obtains and maintains valid PTCB certification or pharmacy license as required by state.
- Serves as a liaison between management and non-management team members by communicating assigned tasks to team members when store management is not present.
- Reports disciplinary issues and customer complaints to management.
- At least one year of leadership experience in the Military with a rank of E4-E6 (Army/Navy/Air Force/Coast Guard); E3-E6 (Marine Corp).
- Must be fluent in reading, writing, and speaking English. (Except in Puerto Rico)
- Willingness to work flexible schedule, including evening and weekend hours.
- Prefer the knowledge of store inventory control.
No saved jobs