Pharmacy Technician / Pharm Tech ApprenticeshipJob ID 758745BR Location 28 E ELM ST , TORRINGTON, CT Apply
Our pharmacy technician positions have undergone an exciting transformation, moving from a transaction-based environment to a much more patient-centric one. As a Walgreens pharmacy technician, you'll be front and center – interacting with our customers and developing strong patient relationships. Pharmacy is the core of our business, and our pharmacy technicians enjoy all the tools and support – including the latest technology – to grow their careers and reach their goals.
- Flexible hours
- Level: Mid-Level
- Travel: 0-25%
Our pharmacy technicians know what it takes to stay ahead of current trends and help patients be well every day. The following attributes are critical to your success in this role. Additional, related traits are also listed below.
- Communicator 10
- Compassionate 7
- Detail-oriented 4
- Trustworthy 8
- Problem Solver 10
- Responsible 10
- Good listener
- Team Player
Jesse Johnson, Sr. Certified Pharmacy Tech- Celebrates 10 years with Walgreens
“I’ve come a long way in the past 10 years and am a completely different person because of this company and the opportunities I have been given working for them. I can’t wait to see where I am in another decade.” To learn more about Jesse’s story, click here.
Why it’s so important for us to have the right pharmacists working in our stores
If ever there was an important “buyer beware” story about American medical practices, this one is it.Learn more
Walgreens eyes more efficient health care
Walgreens recognizes the importance of pharmacy and is striving to make it more efficient.Learn more
Comprehensive health, dental and vision plans are available to employees for themselves and their dependents.
The Walgreens Prescription Drug Plan is designed to help make the cost of prescription medications more affordable for our Walgreens employees and their families.
Profit-Sharing and Employee Stock Purchase Programs help employees secure their financial future and reach their retirement savings goals.
Walgreens employees and their immediate families are entitled to a 15% discount on most purchases at any Walgreens Store and 25% on Walgreens brand products.
Work & life resources
An integrated employee assistance and work/life program available to all team members and eligible family members.
Career development programs
Robust career development includes e-learning programs, classroom career development and mentoring.
College Credit Hours
Walgreens Pharmacy Technician program has recently been reviewed and recognized as qualifying for up to 8 college credit hours by ACE.
Walgreens is proud to invest & champion an “earn while you learn” Pharmacy Technician Training Program recognized by ASHP & Department of Labor. This apprenticeship program gives you an entry point to a career in health care by guiding you in taking steps towards becoming a Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) Certified Pharmacy Technician and helping you maintain the high level of skill required in the pharmacy care industry. Arming you with a nationally recognized, portable credential that will help you advance your career.
Whether you are new to working in pharmacies or are an experienced Pharmacy Technician Apply Now! Walgreens will train you to use your skills and talents to serve and care for our patients and customers. The courses, learning activities, and resources provided to you in our pharmacy technician training program are designed to give you foundational and advanced knowledge, skills, and on-the-job experiences you need to prepare to become a certified pharmacy technician.
- In accordance with state and federal regulations, assists the pharmacist, under direct supervision, in the practice of pharmacy. Assists the pharmacist in the performance of other Pharmacy Department duties in accordance with Company policies and procedures.
- Responsible for using pharmacy systems to obtain patient and drug information and process prescriptions. If PTCB certified, assists with and coaches pharmacy technicians in the operation of pharmacy systems and cashiers in the operation of the pharmacy cash registers.
- Models and delivers a distinctive and delightful customer experience.
- Engages customers and patients by greeting them and offering assistance with products and services. Resolves customer issues and answers questions to ensure a positive customer experience.
- Models and shares customer service best practices with all team members to deliver a distinctive and delightful customer experience, including interpersonal habits (e.g., greeting, eye contact, courtesy, etc.) and Walgreens service traits (e.g., offering help proactively, identifying needs, servicing until satisfied, etc.).
- Develops strong relationships with most valuable customers.
- Under the supervision by the pharmacist, assist in the practice of pharmacy, in accordance with state, federal, and company policy. Reviews and complies with the Walgreen Co. Pharmacy Code of Conduct.
- Performs duties as assigned by Pharmacy Manager, Staff Pharmacist and Store Manager including utilizing pharmacy systems to enter patient and drug information, ensuring information is entered correctly, filling prescriptions by retrieving, counting and pouring pharmaceutical drugs, verifying medicine is correct, and checking for possible interactions. Assists pharmacists in scheduling and maintaining work flow.
- Reports, immediately, prescription errors to pharmacist on duty and adheres to Company policies and procedures in relation to pharmacy errors and the Quality Improvement Program.
- Strictly adheres to the Walgreen Co. policy regarding Good Faith Dispensing during all applicable prescription dispensing activities.
- Responsible and accountable for registering all related sales on assigned cash register, collects and handles cash as required. Takes customer to OTC aisle when possible to assist in locating products.
- Handles telephone calls that do not require personal attention of the pharmacist, including those to physicians.
- Processes (corrects and resubmits) manual claims for third party program prescription services in a timely and efficient manner, and performs other clerical duties, as assigned by the Pharmacy Manager.
- Assists and supports Pharmacy Department on inventory management activities, such as, ordering, unpacking, checking and storing shipment of pharmaceuticals. Maintains knowledge of Company asset protection techniques, and files claims for warehouse overages (merchandise received, but not billed), shortages (merchandise billed, but not received), order errors or damaged goods involving Rx drugs.
- May assist pharmacist in administering clinical services including the collection and proper labeling of blood/urine samples from patients and other clinical services as required; assists pharmacy staff in coordination of clinical services, Walgreens healthcare clinics and external providers.
- Assists Pharmacy Manager and Staff Pharmacist in developing and maintaining good relationships with the local medical community, including physicians, nurses, and other health care providers, by medical provider detailing and outreach to health groups, retirement homes, nursing homes, and other forums for enhancing growth opportunities.
- Assists with exterior and interior maintenance by ensuring the Pharmacy Department is stocked with adequate supplies, clean, neat and orderly in condition and appearance.
- Complies with all company policies and procedures; maintains respectful relationships with coworkers.
- Completes special assignments and other tasks as assigned.
Training & Personal Development
- Earns and maintains PTCB certification through the designated PTCB training program and/or state required certification/registration. Otherwise, earns PTCB certification as condition of promotion to senior technician.
- Attends training and completes PPLs requested by Manager and acquires continuing education credits. Maintains knowledge and skill in healthcare and pharmacy, including latest news and developments.
- Through completion of the Walgreens pharmacy technician apprenticeship program, experience qualifies for eight (8) college credit hours as recognized by the American Council on Education (ACE). This course is recommended for 3 semester hours at the lower-division baccalaureate/associate degree category and 5 semester hours in the upper-division baccalaureate degree category for a total of 8 semester hours.
- Must be fluent in reading, writing, and speaking English. (Except in Puerto Rico)
- Requires willingness to work flexible schedule, including evening and weekend hours.
- Prefer six months of experience in a retail environment.
- Prefer to have prior work experience with Walgreens.
- Prefer good math skills so they can fill prescriptions accurately, including counting, measuring and weighing medications.
- Prefer good computer skills.
- Prefer the knowledge of store inventory control.
- Prefer PTCB certification.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability/veterans.
The following information is applicable to Colorado only, in accordance with the Colorado Pay Equity Act. Please review the available benefits and salary available for this position by clicking here: jobs.walgreens.com/benefits. Walgreens will provide applicants in other states with information related to the position, to the extent required by state or local law, by calling 1-866-967-5492.
No saved jobs
Take a Look
corporate & distribution
Help people get and
well every day.